Saturday, January 14, 2012

Link to the Future

Finally, after 25 years, the creator of "The Legend of Zelda" video games (Shigeru Miyamoto) has unveiled the official story timeline for the entire series, putting to rest decades of fan speculation and nerdy bickering.  This timeline, known as the Miyamoto Order, is unnecessarily convoluted and confusing, but that's what happens when you try to retrofit a cohesive structure onto something that was created without the intention of becoming one epic story.

In other words, it just wasn't necessary.  Each time I played a new Zelda game, I just assumed that it was a reboot of the classic Zelda story (with a couple of exceptions, like "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link", a direct sequel).  It really didn't matter to me, in the end.

Here's a fan film which sums up the confusion nicely and also combines the Zelda franchise with one of my favorite movie trilogies.


1 comment:

  1. That was frickin' awesome.

    I'd heard about the whole effort to establish a timline for the Zelda games, but didn't really look into it at all since to me it's completely irrelevant. I had a similar outlook to yours. Personally I think it's a little cooler to have it be mysterious. Maybe they're dreams, maybe they're alternate interpretations of the same legend. This video didn't convince me to go out and learn the "truth." : P

    ReplyDelete