Friday, April 19, 2013

Scary Movie 5 Review


While we were exiting the theater after a showing of "Scary Movie 5", one of my fellow audience members uttered a quote which summed up the movie rather eloquently -

"That fucking sucked."

Indeed, random stranger.  Indeed.

This is sad for a couple of reasons.  Reason #1:  The other four movies in the series, while not the greatest comedies of all time, had some incredibly funny, laugh-out-loud stuff in them.  The audience for part 5?  Totally silent.

Reason #2:  The filmmakers behind this movie are proven comic geniuses (or, at least, they're competent).  Malcolm D. Lee, the director, also made "Undercover Brother", a far-too-underrated comedy, if you ask me.  The writers, Pat Proft and David Zucker, have been behind some of the funniest spoofs in movie history ("The Naked Gun" trilogy, the "Hot Shots!" movies, as well as parts 3 and 4).  What the hell happened?

Oh well.  At least Anna Faris was wise enough to stay away from this installment (sorry, no Cindy Campbell this time).  It's lazy, boring and unfunny.  I think the "Scary Movie" franchise is officially dead.  R.I.P.

I'm depressed.  I need something to cheer me up.  I know, I'll watch some of the brilliant stuff from "The Naked Gun", which is 10,000 times more hilarious than "Scary Movie 5"!  Especially the chase sequence.

Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. F'ing hysterical... I gotta watch Naked Gun again. I love when he's shooting from the back and she rolls up her window.... ROFL.

    ReplyDelete